I’ve spent more time than I like to admit searching for a new “young Daisy” doll for the second draft of that story. While I love the face of the Rapunzel 5″ toddler doll, she’s very hard to pose, and her scale is totally off (especially when she’s wearing her enormous curly wig.
Here she is with Cado, to give a sense of just how wrong the scale is:
I have a few small BJDs, so I tried them out to see if I could use them in two stories.
Here’s Cosette, from Underfoot (Buu from Mudoll).
Her body is the right size, but, really, her head is just enormous (a problem many small BJDs suffer from).
Ester (my Maskcat doll, soon to be appearing in Betwixt) has a more in-proportion head, but she’s almost as big as the adult fashion dolls.
Plus, I can’t imagine Daisy with a less than sunny disposition.
I’d just about given up when I remembered a doll I’d fallen in love with awhile ago – a very small, very baby-ish doll from Supia dolls named Sena. When I looked at the head measurements, I thought she might be just about right-sized, and it turns out she’s completely perfect.
With her long blond wig, she looks just like a mini Daisy. She’s a little bit younger than I imagined Daisy to be in these episodes, but that’s fine. The only effect is that it makes her age a bit closer to Rosie’s, but that shouldn’t have any real effect on the plot.
The new Wildflower doll is Trudy – she’s going to be taking over the role of the mysterious stranger, and she’ll play a much larger role in the flashback scenes.
With that, I’m just about ready to finish up Daisy’s first episode, with young Daisy appearing in a flashback scene.
Well, that didn’t last long. I appear to have redone my redo one day after posting it.
Here’s the thing – there’s a rhythm to a graphic novel panel that just isn’t there where you post all of the photos in a blog. So, take the first panel from On Our Own (which I didn’t change)
I very deliberately set it up so it was 3 good things to one bad, all of which could have happened on a single day. That calculation wouldn’t have happened if I hadn’t had the idea of a “page” encompassing those four photos.
The second page keeps the pace, but changes the focus
Now the pace has sped up a little – the first three events could have happened in a few hours, as could the fourth (depending on how far she was travelling.) BTW, is any of this clear from the photos? So, on the first page, there’s a sick person in the fourth panel and some idea of happy play in the other three. In the second page, I tried to include enough of the clothing to make sure what was happening (sick person is running a fever, two other people make a phone call, then a new person packs her bags, and she arrives in the fourth panel.)
Now we get to first problem panel.
What the hell has happened to our pacing? Three of the photos *could* have happened in one day, but the fourth? Clearly the person who has died in the second photo could not have been buried already. So, that seems all wrong.
And the fourth panel?
Now we’ve somehow spread it out over at least a month (based on the eviction notice). And, wow, those girls sure have bounced back fast.
So, anyway, I think I was really rushing to get them placed in their trailer, but it really goes outside the bounds of the pacing in the first two pages.
So, I backed off and slowed the pace down. They’ll get to the trailer when they get there, and there’s no time for them to get someone buried in the first episode. I also won’t be able to spell out exactly who died, but that can wait as well.
Here, then, is the (hopefully) final version of the last two pages.
Same two pages are the same, here’s the new page 3.
and the new page 4
Now all reasonably within the bounds of a day or two, and I’ve gotten the characters to the point where they are on their own.
In lieu of a premise song (“here’s a story, of three girls named after plants . . .”), I’ve created a premise episode for On Our Own (used to be called Overhead). Done, naturally, in just hands. Well, actually, in hands plus some clothes, because I realized you couldn’t tell them apart with just their hands.
I promise no other episode will be so grim – I just needed to get all of this behind them so that they could move forward. By their next episode, they’ll have started to absorb it all, and they may even feel like dancing again.
So, anyway, here it is.
My Overhead/Up-Above/who-knows-what-else-I’ve-called-it has gone through its (hopefully) final change. Because I recognize that the treehouse/adventure angle just isn’t where the heat is, I’m going to redo it from the beginning (which I had to do anyway, due to all of the wig changes) to focus on what matters. That is, to focus on the sweet relationship between the sisters.
So, I’m going to go back to the start and try it again, and really place the sisters in a story line so I can look at their relationship. In this case, as one might suspect when three young girls find themselves living by themselves in a trailer, it can’t be an entirely happy story line. But, I’m worn out on drama since all of trauma in My Doll Adventure, so I’m just going to pass lightly over the back story.
What I’m working on now is the premise episode, which involves the death of a parent, the finding themselves destitute, and finally locating the lowest of low cost habitats (in this case, a very small trailer). And, just for the fun of it, I’m telling the whole story with just hands.
or (spoiler alert)
So, we’ll see how that goes. It won’t be all grim, I’ll start off with some normal days before the illness begins (or, as many normal days as I can express with hands alone).
And that will mean that I’ll have at least one episode up from my existing stories. Then it’s just a matter of deciding whether I start Daisy’s story again, or whether I get pants for the big guy in Betwixt and begin that.