I’ve been spoiled by the easy access to great paintings, which formed the backdrop of Rosie’s adventures. Almost any great artist you can think of has the bulk of their work in the public domain.
Not so for other works of art. Movies, in addition to being more recent, also have more stringent laws about what goes into the public domain. That means that only a tiny sliver of movies are accessible to work into your storylines. Same thing with music. Even if the score is in the public domain, the performance is not.
For a storyline that relies on sending its characters into works of art, then, there’s a fair amount of research you have to do to locate a work they can legally end up in. I lucked out in the first episode that Roger Corman’s works are all public domain. But, choosing Night of the Living Dead was an accident for the sisters. Now that they know how the wardrobe works, they’re not going to stick another horror movie in there.
I really wanted Bodger to pick a film – he had his heart set on Rin Tin Tin and Lassie. But, I wasn’t familiar with any of the movies that were availalbe, and I suspect no one else is either. He’ll probably get a dog picture eventually. He’d really really like The Incredible Journey (since Bodger the bull terrier comes from that movie), but it’s not public domain.
So, I moved away from movies and went rummaging through books. In particular, illustrated children’s books. And that’s where I found this week’s adventure – in Arthur Rackham’s illustrations of Alice in Wonderland.
You know your miniature world building has gone wrong when most of it is done in front of a computer. I don’t know about other miniature world builders, but for me much of the delight is peering into their tiny worlds, or glancing up and seeing them mid-action in their tiny world.
But, once I got frozen and then boiled out of my garage workspace, the quality of my world building has plummeted until now I’m pretty much just tossing dolls down on the desk to photograph them and then photoshopping them into something more suitable.
That’s ended up making my home much less magical. There’s a lot more magic in glancing over and seeing this setup in my dining/doll room:
than there is in this:
Or in this magical space
contrasted to this table top
Sometimes, of course, I have no options. There simply is no way I’m going to capture this
in my dining room.
But much of it is just sheer laziness on my part. I mean, could I really not have made this photograph using real world props?
Heck, I might even have gotten the scale and angle right.
My next episode is the second “In the Picture” episode, so I actually have to do photoshopping to get my dolls into the pictures. But, I’m trying to make their real world space more . . . well . . . real. We’ll see how that goes
Well, that didn’t last long. I appear to have redone my redo one day after posting it.
Here’s the thing – there’s a rhythm to a graphic novel panel that just isn’t there where you post all of the photos in a blog. So, take the first panel from On Our Own (which I didn’t change)
I very deliberately set it up so it was 3 good things to one bad, all of which could have happened on a single day. That calculation wouldn’t have happened if I hadn’t had the idea of a “page” encompassing those four photos.
The second page keeps the pace, but changes the focus
Now the pace has sped up a little – the first three events could have happened in a few hours, as could the fourth (depending on how far she was travelling.) BTW, is any of this clear from the photos? So, on the first page, there’s a sick person in the fourth panel and some idea of happy play in the other three. In the second page, I tried to include enough of the clothing to make sure what was happening (sick person is running a fever, two other people make a phone call, then a new person packs her bags, and she arrives in the fourth panel.)
Now we get to first problem panel.
What the hell has happened to our pacing? Three of the photos *could* have happened in one day, but the fourth? Clearly the person who has died in the second photo could not have been buried already. So, that seems all wrong.
And the fourth panel?
Now we’ve somehow spread it out over at least a month (based on the eviction notice). And, wow, those girls sure have bounced back fast.
So, anyway, I think I was really rushing to get them placed in their trailer, but it really goes outside the bounds of the pacing in the first two pages.
So, I backed off and slowed the pace down. They’ll get to the trailer when they get there, and there’s no time for them to get someone buried in the first episode. I also won’t be able to spell out exactly who died, but that can wait as well.
Here, then, is the (hopefully) final version of the last two pages.
Same two pages are the same, here’s the new page 3.
and the new page 4
Now all reasonably within the bounds of a day or two, and I’ve gotten the characters to the point where they are on their own.